Searching the Attributions to the Gentleman's Magazine Index
To search for a word or exact phrase:
- Enter a word or phrase in the search line, and click on the Submit Query button;
- Each entry containing the search string will be
displayed, first as a Keyword in Context (KWIC) concordance and then in its entirety.
To initiate a compound search:
- Enter a word or phrase into the first search line;
- Enter a word or phrase into the second search line;
- Select a proximity level (Near, Not Near, Followed By, Not Followed By) or boolean operator (and, or, not) from the button immediately below the first search line.
- In order to find an exact word, place a hard space
immediately following the word. For example, "paper_"
(the underscore indicates a hard space) will return all
occurences of the word "paper." You may initiate a
truncated-word search by entering a partial word
into the search line but leaving out the hard space.
For example, "paper" (without the hard space) will
return paper, papers, etc.
- You may limit your searches to specific fields within
the database by clicking on the button immediately below
the search line and choosing one of the following types:
- All entries
- Author attributions
- Volume numbers
- page numbers
- Introduction only
Last modified Monday, 21-Apr-2008 15:57:46 EDT
Copyright © 1996 by the Rector and Visitors
of the University of Virginia.